Aubergine Bake nom nom nom
I love Aubergine in any form, Aubergine bake is one of the ways I enjoy it.
- Take one medium Aubergine.
- Cut the Aubergine into slices then char the slices, the best way is on a griddle pan however, if you don’t have one you can put the slices on a non-stick pan and slightly brown them on each side. You just need to make sure that the pan/griddle pan is hot. I often heat the pan for ~5 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 130 degrees.
Make the Sauce
- Slice one small red onion.
- Open one tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Heat oil (about 3 table spoons) in a pan. Add some italian herbs, chilli flakes if you want and the red onion slices, some salt (it will help them cook)
- Once the onions start to soften add the tin of chopped tomatoes and cook the mixture until it is thick.
Take a dish that can be placed in the oven. Add a layer of the sauce, then a layer of aubergine slices continue to layer the sauce and slices ending with a layer of sauce.
You can prepare it earlier in the day and put it in the oven when you are ready to eat.
I sometimes add a layer of breadcrumbs on the top to add a nice crunch to the dish. This is optional.
Place the tray in the oven for 25-35 minutes. Until the aubergine is soft.
There are many ways to serve this,
- Just with some bread.
- With some green salad.
- On its own as a starter.
- On a bed of rice or pasta.
This paticular evening I choose to go with Pasta. Instead of plan pasta I decided to heat some oil in a pan add some minced garlic and fresh basil, finely chopped. Salt and pepper to taste.